Tuesday, September 15, 2009

One year


One year ago, September 14th, 2008 I married my best friend. Cheesy sounding, I know, but so completely true. It was seriously such an awesome and beautiful day to celebrate love. Not only the love between James and I, but the love of family and dear, dear friends who all worked so hard to help make that day wonderful.   

That date also marked the beginning of the amazing, crazy journey James and I have been on since. It's been almost a year that we have lived in Mexico City. I still remember when we first got here and I would cry over the uncertainty of jobs, a place to live, friends. I missed San Diego and my friends there more than anything. It was in those moments that I realized how amazing my husband was; I mean, I already knew it, but it was a nice affirmation. He would hold me and comfort me and at the same time, push me to get outside of my comfort zone. 

As the months went on, we started to gain a bit more stability, but for so much of that time we were each other's only stability. Our marriage was the one certain thing we had. 

It's amazing to see how far we've come. From only an air mattress on the ground of our apartment, to having an amazing job, being enrolled in masters programs, having wonderful friends and an amazing house church. And now, as a nice anniversary gift, a fully furnished apartment. 

This journey has been incredible and I have had the best partner to tackle it with.

Just as James said in his vows, "in my lifelong quest to love others, you will always be my first other." 

I think that just about sums it all up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment