Thursday, September 3, 2009

Good things

Today started like any other. I left the house and headed to work before sunrise, packed myself into a stuffed metro car and held on for the always jerky ride. I attempted to find some personal space, but it was lost in the mass of overly fragrant Mexican men around me. As I felt the man behind me getting a little too close to my backside, I arched my back uncomfortably to create some distance. 

Everyone was silent around me in their early morning-I'm on my way to work and I still haven't woken up-haze. I stood there silent like the rest of them, giving it my best attempt to blend in. Believe me, it's better to be just another face in the crowd than to stick out like a foreigner with a sore thumb. Luckily my Persian heritage helps with that.

I noticed a girl in front of me who stood in front of the door without holding on to something to aid in her balance. Now, if you've ever ridden a metro car in Mexico City than you know that to not hold onto something while in motion is like asking to fall into an angry stranger's lap, or smack an unsuspecting traveler in the face as you hit the ground. Basically, the ride is extremely jerky and unpredictable and keeping your balance is key to a successful ride. 

It wasn't until I looked down that I noticed she was holding onto a walking stick. I looked up and saw a far off look in her eyes and quickly realized she was blind. I thought in my head of guiding her hand to a metal bar to hold onto, but didn't act. Something kept the thought in my head and the action just an idea. 

A minute or so later, the man in front of me did just that. He gently took her hand and placed it on a bar while explaining what he was doing to her. It was a simple gesture, but it impacted me. 

Those early morning metro rides are so mundane. Everyone in that car is completely disconnected. It's a group of practically lifeless people solely concerned with getting to where they need to be. 

Seeing that man help that girl was like a wave of fresh air washing through that car. Catching people in the act of doing something good creates life. In those moments, that is life; and it's a beautiful thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment